Tuesday, September 21, 2010

It's Distressing.

So here's the thing. I read like, 12 billion and 7 home decorating/furniture makeover blogs.

I looooovee them.

But it seems that the big thing these days is "shabby chic" and doing alot of distressing on furniture (painting it, then sanding off some of the paint to look old and worn in).

I gotta tell ya kids, I hate it. I can apprecaite the beauty of  it and if its your style then rock on sister, but for me- I want a nice glossy clean finish. I get one smudge or scratch in my paint and you better believe I'll have a few curse words flying and then be right in there with some touch up paint.

I don't know what struck me to have to write about this, but I just can't get over how many people are taking antiques and refinishing them with distressing. It just doesn't do it for me!

So on that note, here is the buffet table I bought on Craigslist.


Ya, Ya my picture is crooked I know.
You can't tell so much in this picture, but the glass is very yellow with little cirlcle texture on it. I love the texture, hate the color.
I haven't decided what to do with this yet.

Either go modern- paint it black, replace all the handle with shiny clean stainless pulls and put in frosted glass,

or

leave the wood finish (since it is clean, in good condition and kinda matches the kitchen cabinets it sits by), still replace the pulls with some updated black ones, and then do I have no idea what with the glass.

On a fun side note- we have so many kithcen cabinets in the new house that they are comically empty. So, I bought this piece because the space needed something and it was perfect- but it is totally empty, with no plans to put anything in it, LOL.

Any ideas??

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you sista, I love the clean glossy finish. I vote black! We've just painted our tv cabinetry black and I LOVE IT. If you decide to go with stainless pulls let me know how it turns out. We might do brass hardware - not sure yet.

    ReplyDelete